Location and general information
In the United Nations Development Programme’s most recent Human Development Report, Bolivia was ranked 118th out of 188 countries, making it one of the least developed countries in South America. With a population of 1.8 million, Cochabamba is one of the most populous of Bolivia’s nine departments. This project is being carried out in Sacaba, Cochabamba’s second city in Cochabamba Department, where 36,3% (statistics from Instituta Nacional de Estadistica) censosbolivia)of the population live below the poverty line and many persons with disabilities are unable to gain an education or access required specialist health care services.
The discrimination that children and youth with disabilities face in Sacaba represents a significant barrier to their personal and social development. Light for the World International organises workshops and fun sporting activities for those children in a bid to end their isolation by promoting an inclusive approach to education and changing perceptions of disability in Bolivia.
- Strengthen relations between children and youth with disabilities (beneficiaries) and their families
- Build up the self-confidence of the beneficiaries
- Foster the social inclusion of the beneficiaries
- Contribute to mainstreaming disability inclusion in local networks and regulations of the municipal government
- Improve access to health services for children and youth with disabilities
- Promote inclusive education for children with disabilities
- Train youth with disabilities to access the labour market
- Empower children and youth with disabilities, as well as their families to stand up for their rights
- Organisation of fun sporting activities for children and their families at regular intervals during the year
- Organisation of sporting activities such as athletics, swimming, basketball, football, handball, slalom and dancing two or three times a week
- Training of sports teachers at the Simón Rodríguez Teacher Training College to foster the social integration of participating children
- Organisation of annual competitions and tournaments for people with disabilities to change the negative perception of disability in Bolivia in cooperation with EIFODEC (Escuela de Integración y Formación Deportiva, Expresión Artistica y Entrenamiento Laboral/ School for Integration, sports training, artistic expression and vocational training)
- Organisation of 40 visits to schools to foster communication between children with and without disabilities