Location and general information
Sport dans la Ville works with 6,500 young people aged between 7 and 22 who live in disadvantaged areas of Lyon, Grenoble, Chambéry, Saint-Etienne, Lille and Paris.
The young participants live in areas targeted for urban regeneration, where access to training and employment is very limited. The rate of unemployment for 16- to 25-year-olds in the areas in which Sport dans la Ville operates is 45%.
Sport dans la Ville created the From Sport to Work programme to help every young person find employment. The programme aims to help 1,300 young people aged 15 and above to find training and employment opportunities by preparing them and enabling them to acquire skills and long-term employment through practical activities and individual supervision. Young participants in the sports programmes run by Sport dans la Ville also join the From Sport to Work programme.
The UEFA Foundation for Children is supporting this employment programme for the second year in a row.
At its centres, Sport dans la Ville provides continuous support for children from the age of six by offering academic, social and professional integration activities (generally lasting between 10 and 12 years).
- Sport dans la Ville uses sport to pass on values and life skills such as confidence and personal development to young people living in the neighbourhoods in which it operates.
- Sport dans la Ville supports the success and access to employment of young people from areas targeted for urban regeneration by offering them cultural opportunities and numerous pathways into employment.
- By working alongside young people, their families and local stakeholders, Sport dans la Ville promotes the transformation of disadvantaged areas and fosters equal opportunities.
Five practical measures to help each young person acquire new skills and long-term employment:
- Individual support from a professional development coach (a permanent employee of Sport dans la Ville).
- Preparation for the world of work thanks to visits to companies and explanation of the rules of the workplace and recruitment procedures.
- Mentoring by company employees, who share their experience of work and support the young people with their professional integration.
- Discovery of new cultural horizons in France and abroad, enabling young people to gain initial work experience (internships, work-study contracts, fixed-term contracts, permanent contracts) and taking them out of their everyday environment in order to foster in them a desire to succeed.
- Sport dans la Ville programmes are designed to promote gender equality and cultural and social openness with a view to fighting the stigmatisation of young people from areas targeted for urban regeneration.
- To increase the number of participants in the From Sport to Work programme by opening ten new sports centres in three regions: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Île-de-France and Nord-Pas-de-Calais Picardie. These new centres will be able to accommodate more young people (1,300 in 2018/19).
- To increase the involvement of young people at the existing Sport dans la Ville sports centres.
- To help more young people find long-term employment.
- To make employment more accessible for the young participants in the From Sport to Work programme.
- To promote equal job opportunities for all, regardless of social background.
- In 2018 and 2019, the structuring and development of the From Sport to Work programme are continuing at national level and partnerships are being strengthened in order to ensure the financial sustainability of the programme and enable the planned improvements to be made.
- Positive impact on the development of young participants in the From Sport to Work programme.
- Improved social integration of young participants in the programme.
- Positive effects on academic success.
Positive effects on professional integration.