Location and general information
From sport to work project
Sport dans la Ville works with 5,500 young people aged between 7 and 22 who live in disadvantaged areas of Lyon, Grenoble, Chambéry, Saint-Etienne, Lille and Ile-de-France.
The young participants live in areas targeted for urban regeneration, where access to training and employment is very limited. The average unemployment rate for 16 to 25-year olds in the areas in which Sport dans la Ville operates is 45%.
Young participants in the sports programmes run by Sport dans la Ville are able to join the Job dans la Ville programme from the age of 15. In 2017, the programme will help around 950 socially disadvantaged young people aged between 15 and 22 to find training and employment opportunities.
The Job dans la Ville programme uses five practical measures to help each young person obtain a qualification and long-term employment (work-study contract or permanent contract):
- Individual training and employment support from a professional development coach, a permanent employee of Sport dans la Ville.
- Visits to companies and training providers, partners of Sport dans la Ville.
- Training and preparation for the world of work, in particular the rules of the workplace and job interview procedures.
- Mentoring by company employees, who share their experience of work and support the young people with their professional integration.
- Company placements in France and abroad, enabling each young person to gain initial work experience (internships, work-study contracts, fixed-term contracts, permanent contracts).
The Job dans la Ville programme aims to have an immediate impact on the young people by offering social and professional integration activities in the districts where they live, thus developing close relationships with the young people and their parents. By working with children in its centres from the age of six, Sport dans la Ville provides young people with long-term, continuous support (lasting an average of 10 to 12 years).
All year round, the programme offers:
- workshops and company visits during school holidays;
- programme presentation ceremonies in January and June;
- ‘Foot & Job’ events, where young job-seekers can meet company employees on the sports pitch and talk about their jobs;
- employment forums, where young Job dans la Ville participants can meet our partner companies who are looking for new recruits (internships, work-study contracts, fixed-term contracts, permanent contracts).
- to increase the number of participants in the Job dans la Ville programme by opening ten new sports centres in three regions: Rhône-Alpes, Ile-de-France and Hauts-de-France. These new centres will be able to accommodate more young people in the Job dans la Ville programme (1,100 in 2018);
- to increase the involvement of young people at the existing Sport dans la Ville sports centres.
- In 2017 and 2018, to continue the structuring and development of our programme at national level.
- To strengthen our team of partners, whose objective is to ensure the financial sustainability of the Job dans la Ville programme and of the improvements we intend to make to the programme.
Youth advisory centres (‘missions locales’) and CIO (‘centres d’information et d’orientation’).
Second-chance schools, vocational schools, apprentice training centres, adult vocational training centres, universities and higher education establishments
Local and state authorities
120 private companies